Tuesday 6 April 2010

Uh.... whaat?


An except from writer, talking about (what I think) is his writing process (gotten from here):

In a general sense, I write elliptically. By that I mean I open sections with some detail I want to resonate throughout the entire section, and through the course of writing that section you can imagine me tapping that bell again and again. Until with the final few lines, I ring it one last time – sometimes hard, sometimes soft, depending on the effect I want, or feel is warranted. It’s become such a habit now that I often do it without conscious thought.

On a most basic level it shows up in paragraphs (and no, there’s nothing unique to me in any of this). Look two paragraphs upward on this screen. The opening line talks about multiple points of view; the last line describes the many ways of seeing the world. But that last line isn’t just reiterating the first one. Something is added (in this case, a personal comment on my desire to experience every one of them). It’s probably the only structural lesson I learned in school that I still use on occasion – the whole introductory and concluding sentences to frame a paragraph.

uuuuh.... what?? I'm sorry but I can't understand this at all, the ringing of the bell? what? Is being completely incomprehensible a new kind of writing now? I realise that many people expect a writer to write online as they do in their novels... if this is so with that guy then... I mean I don't mind things that are hard to read if they are from another time, but this is the modern day! Write in contemporary style! dammit! However it is not as bad as this:

When buzz first began to build about Peter V. Brett, it wasn’t his debut novel, The Warded Man (REVIEW), everyone was talking about. Rather, it was about the Blackberry-like device he wrote the majority of the novel on, during his morning commute. Once readers got their hands on The Warded Man, the seriousness of Brett’s achievement became readily apparent – not only had he written a novel during his morning commute, using little more than his thumbs, he’d written a good novel during his morning commute. A damn good novel.


I'm sorry but are you f-ing kidding me (see I censor myself, oh the pain), on the communte! on a blackberry! argh this just makes me want to rage! The kind of effort you put into a novel is not something you can tap out on a dirty train, cramped against stinky passengers while simultaneously being rattle from side to side and listening to the girl two seats down chatting loudly about some guy she f***ed (see did it again) last night! Ugh, Argh... I just... argh!!!

I realised that if I ever did become famous (remember if, I said if... I am not big headed!!!) that I would make all sorts of big headed (ha!) mistakes! Like Nicholas Sparks and his "Jane Austen just did the same story over and over again" and "I am not a romance writer!" Like doing the above thing and writing like a moron -_-, I hope I never forget the fans or anything like that or become a "reclusive writer" or like that guy in that Frasier episode *shudder*

Also I decided that I may stop writing about my novel here because

1) it leads to crummy sentimental posts like the last one... which no one wants to read and diminishes my story by relating it to cliches -_-... man, did I actually write the phrase "warrior women" what was I on?

2) I get a sense of horrible insecurity that I am writing about it here and yet (here is the most big headed thing of all) people aren't flocking here in the dozens (oh man... -_-) I know that a family tree and a few posts doesn't even make a dint on the plot of my overall story but anything that makes me hesitate over the faith I have in my writing has to be eliminated or I will stop writing that novel all together (yup! I am that fragile!)

However then on the other hand, the reason I created this blog in the first place was to talk about my novel and I even named it after the dream I had where I was a published writer and had a website called Cloak and Candle, and after all this is my blog, if you don't like it then pants... you don't have to read it, but then... (ok I really shouldn't write this late at night and being lonesome from being stuck in all day -_-)

I'll think about it tomorrow... hahahah XD.

0 Comments: