Tuesday 2 February 2010

Why why why...


*cry cry cry*

I am quite enamoured by a character in the Fire Emblem games, one that was a part inspiration for Rana. I bought Radiant Dawn but didn't realise it had a prequel, Path of Radiance.

Unfortunately it's one of those old games which no longer exist so people sell them for about £50 on Amazon... *sigh*

Tomorrow I will start writing again after my month hiatus to do my exams. I have problems attempting to get back into my novel after being absent for so long. I forget the motivations of the characters and who they are. It is like if you didn't see a friend of yours for a month and so you become out of touch. So i'll reread my novel to get back into it.

Also I will explain a little about my writing process.
How a novel starts:
- I become inspired by something, it may be:
- a story I heard or read but thought that it should have ended differently
- A picture
- Something which i've always wanted to write but didn't have time until now

- The story revolves around two characters who will end up romantically involved, so I start by deciding the details of those characters and reflecting the world around them

-How I create the world
- I draw on my studies in Medieval History
- I focus on Kingdoms I know and shape them to my own ends
- I make sure whatever I decide has already happened in human history, therefore
I can't assume something which isn't realistic.

- I make a brief overview in my mind of the plot, what happens in the end. Always the story which I present in the first few chapters is based upon mysteries which happened in the past. The past is very important.
- Who are the protaganists and who are the antagonist is decided, who wins, who loses and why that happens. These are the bones of the story. If you bones poke through and the reader can see your bones then you aren't a very good writer :( (haaha I bet that sounds funny but that's the only way I can describe it)

- All characters are decided upon and what kind of impact they have upon the two main characters and what plot points they further. Those characters who are involved in the "past" events, are often shady to begin with, blank characters upon which I can place ideas as they come to me. I call these my little ephianys because they come to me sudddenly usually, as i'm dreaming in bed or on the train or sitting in my room. But I have to have the "shades" in order to make sure that those characters in the "present" are mapped by the events in the "past" (complicated sorry...)

- I break up the story into chunks, like a tree the characters break off in different directions. I decide whose branch I will write and I break up their story in parts.

- The scenes I first think of in my head usually when I am going to sleep at night. (this is becoming hard as I get older as I begin to forget in the morning, espically if I have a stressful day ahead of me).
Then I write the scene based on the scene in my head. I then go back and painstakingly re-write the scene until I am completely happy with it (this can take days).
Then when I am happy I move onto the next scene :D.

So that's a basic to my writing process :P.

0 Comments: