Friday 5 February 2010

Resources for writers


I found a helpful webpage, detailing several links for writers. I was surprised at how helpful this was. Not only did they have an art section but also a video section, map section and classic book section, all resources I have used in my own work. I highly recommend you take a look if you have talent in writing and want more help:

http://www.internet-resources.com/writers/

writing a book is hard work. Every scene has to be done in such detail, it is painful sometimes and I had quite a few rough days over the past week trying to worm my way back into my work after leaving it for so long. It cannot be helped, however, I am not willing to sacrifice my education for a skill that may or may not be successful. Always I had hid my work from the eyes of others, I cannot bear criticism.

Once when I was younger my sister did a Tarot reading for me. I asked if I would ever become a writer and the tarot replied that I would have difficulties because of my level of skill. Even though it was just a silly game back then and a superstition to boot (something which as a Christian I shouldn't even believe), sometimes it rises up in my mind and I feel as though I am doomed to never make it as a writer.

The difference between a popular novelist and a great novelist is a large one. I recently moved out of my small reading circle of only classics, gothic novels and books endorsed by various reading lists and my parents into the realm of American Romance. I ordered several books which recieved A+ reviews from certain blogs which I visit daily and was sadly dissapointed. I found them lacking in scene control and all the characters except the main being flat and wooden.

I used to write like this before I became a horrid perfectionist because of the failure of my four-year old novel. It is the easy way, you sit and write, do a little editing and the novel is done. This however is not an option for me, I am ambitious so every scene must right down to the letter, I now understand why it takes George RR Martin so long to write his books (I am not comparing myself to him however). To make a great novel it must reflect reality, no a-sexual best friends, no self-sacrificing comrades, no, not even a guard must be a flat character. Everyone must live and breathe with their own pasts, their own loves, their own wishes, no one must be the "guard", the "servant", the empty stand-in to advance the plot along.

Not all of the great books are perfect by any means, Far from the Madding Crowd had too much filler for my tastes (but that's mainly because of the way it has aged), Hunchback of Notre Dame had whole chapters detailing the church (though I know this went vast ways towards restoring people's love of it), LotR is hard to read... let's face it but we slug through it for the rewards but I really want any novel I write to be a great one.

Through toiling and working so hard I have also realised something else, those people who are talented and think themselves better than the rest because of their talent are all talk. Talent is nothing compared to hard work, I know it's a cliche but it's true. Before I used to look down on other writers but I realised I couldn't talk, until you try your very hardest at something and realise the sweat and toil it takes to make something beautiful then you feel nothing but compassion for others even if their work doesn't live up to your expectations because they felt the same pain and suffering you felt.

I will strain and struggle and try and make this novel the best I can.

0 Comments: