Tuesday 23 February 2010

Suffering for you art


Oh my my my!!! I want to thank one person very much :DD and that is this person:

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

(gosh I'm sorry I can't figure out how to do the whole hyperlink thing... if anyone knows how comment XD)

I've been having problems with my novel recently, I knew that it revolved around Rana in some way but I wasn't sure what it was. It had been so much on my mind for the last few weeks, a heavy burden on me. I kept trying to figure out what it was, what was wrong. Even when I wrote I felt that I was doing it wrong... and then searching in google for help I came across this.

I did he/she's little exercise involving character motivations and I realised... that Rana had lost his motivation! After he falls in love with Angelique, it's perfectly natural that he would turn against the Emperor, but I thought, why? why would he do that? and I realise that I hadn't given him any motivation in doing so! and so I have been left with a character who didn't know whether he was coming in going in terms of his loyalty to his lord.

Gosh I realised that I had been ignoring the Emperor's backstory, in favour of Rana's and Angelique's romance so that now that the whole "omg I love you" is over, I was left with nothing to do... I realise now that when I get some time, (probably after University this year) I need to do some serious work on the other parts of the story than Rana/Ange.

However this is ok, I only started the novel seven months ago and it takes me a lot of time to figure out a novel properly, I think it took two years for QOWE, however I just kept writing and writing for that so I didn't come across that problem now.

Phew... this is a load off my mind!

0 Comments: