Friday 18 September 2009

Talkin' about Angels.

A favorite angelic subject in art, matched only by Saint Gabriel, Saint Michael is often depicted as winged and with unsheathed sword. As with all angels' iconography, his wings represent swiftness, his sword means authority or power, and his white raiment stands for his enlightenment.[21] In the Renaissance period, he is shown as young, strong, and handsome, and is most often depicted as a proud, handsome angel in white or magnificent armor or a splendid coat of mail and equipped with sword, shield and spear. His wings are generally conspicuous and very grand. He is usually shown holding in his hand a banner or the scales of justice. Quite often he is seen, like Saint George and in some representations of the Madonna, in conflict with a dragon or standing upon a vanquished devil, who most of the time is Satan.


Huh, guess I was wrong about everyone lovin on Gabriel because he was the most shown in Art. Hmm, I really want to know why everyone loves him and yet Michael and the others get shunned.

Yeah just one thing here, I am talking about the sort of legendary angels... (argh, this is too hard to explain without sounding crazy, basically, for me angels are not this:



but this:



So here I am talking about the pretty legendary ones that don't for all intents and purposes exist anywhere but in the minds of manga writers/ye olde artists/romance novel writers (hell they could... but I don't think that's what it says in the Bible (yes I am a bad Xian, I need to put the bible on my ipod or summat so I can know more about my faith ._.) ). The real angels, the ones that are described in the Bible as looking more like the ones from Hellboy 2 I wouldn't even dream to talk about like this...

But yeah, why Gabriel? from the pictures Michael is just as hot. Oh well, what can one say? I guess Michael is too uppity for the ladies who write romance XD. Not to mention what the sects say about him, that he became Jesus or some such. (Ok, I shall
never understand Seventh Day Adventurists (Sorry it was too hard to resist) and Jehovah's Witnesses) In fact there's hardly any info at all about Gabriel on wiki, but what I assume happened is that Gabriel is the only angel everyone knows about because of the nativity, and people began to think of angels as pretty because of the art... intresting...

So then Romance writers came along and wanted their heroes to look like the pretty angels but couldn't remember anyone except Gabriel and so they used him. Also he's probably on more xmas cards than Michael... hmm. But the manga writers, they just like bishies with wings, which is what I like XD, hence the book.

0 Comments: