Thursday 20 August 2009

Episode 1: In which I shit all over someones hard work for no good reason

Hello, as you can probably tell I'm a snob, a terrible, literary snob, because I have never published something of my own and therefore don't know the sour bitter taste of criticism it gives me free rein to tear apart someone elses work with my bare ragged teeeth!!!

Today I shall be reviewing Hero, no not the artisy chinese film, but the WEBCOMIC, the awesome WEBCOMIC OF WONDER AND VERY MUCH LOOKING LIKE A CERTAIN JAPANESE ARTIST'S WORK THAT BEGINS WITH A. If you wish to peruse the fangirl goodness of probably will end up with a yaoi couple which is why most people read this anyway, then here it is:

http://invisiblecities.comicgenesis.com/story.html

It is written by a Malaysian artist and actually I like this comic, it's pretty, it's awesome, it's philosophical but it's boring. Oh so boring. I gave up already.

You see I have this problem, I hate poetry, GOD I HATE POETRY. Poetry that doesn't tell that story, is basically snazzy words set to a beat. I love a beat but some poets, IT'S JUST PRETTY WORDS WITH NO MEANING SET IN SOME SORT OF PATTERN and we are supposed to read something into it. I have this problem with a certain Ms. Plath, I really tried to understand her poetry really I did but to me, it was just pretty words. I'm ashamed to admit this, that I have no perchance for poetry. I should being a writer and self-proclaimed intelligent person but heck, if it's not Folk Songs or from that Anthology you get at GCSE, I don't want to know.

If someone isn't dying, being left at the altar, being betrayed, coming back from the dead, losing one's baby or bitterly rebuking someone. I don't want to know.

So with this comic, this is my problem. The way she writes. It's just so empty, it's meant to be so meaningful and AAaaaAAaaah surreal but eh... if you refer to people as "the witch" and "the priest" i'm going to assume it's a children's book. It's so simple and because of that, yes it's beautiful, but it's empty beauty. It reminded me of a Neil Gaiman book I have (do not get me started on him, seriously. I liked mirrormask but everything else...)

But then again I am pretty jealous, she touches on some beautiful things like, where is your real home and such but yeah. I want real characters with real flaws and real dialogue. It's just not for me.

0 Comments: