Saturday 30 January 2010

Men of Kind and Gentle Nature


Recently I have, as the bard said, "lost all my mirth". My best friend recently met a young man of whom she is quite enamoured, so much so that she doesn't have much time for me anymore. I am a caring person so I miss her very much and it calls into question my own feelings upon love.

I am a bitter person when it comes to love, having had my own self-esteem cracked by bad encounters however I still retain my innocence when it comes to matters of the heart. I believe in love and I write about it, it is the central figure of my work. I read an intresting article from a blog I visit on a daily basis, Smart Bitches Trashy Novels:

We spend a lot of time here talking about the prevalence of the alpha hero, the loud and brash warrior male who is tamed partially by the magic hoo-hoo of his lady fair. In real life, men like Dr. Parker represent a different kind of hero: the quiet gentleman of intellect and grace. Compassion is itself a form of tangible strength. And while the quiet gentlemen heroes are not as prominent in our discussions of hero archetype, they are themselves powerful. The thoughtful, intellectual hero who is a source of abiding and dedicated strength is a pleasure to read about. Heroes like Christy in Patricia Gaffney’s To Love and to Cherish, or Colin in Julia Quinn’s Romancing Mister Bridgerton, who may not stamp around and pound their chests but whose dedication is equally dominant and powerful.


I realise this is true about the hero in my novel, Rana, who while fatally flawed is essentially what she is describing. Angelique has many traits of mine, she also is scarred and hides her vunerability beneath her coquettishness. Rana's kindness towards her is also a part of me and it is something that I also look for in the people I associate with. I would like to have a man who has those traits :D.

0 Comments: